In this fast evolving world everything is changing for better to stay at par with the trend. Be it fashion, education, or the search engine optimization, every old tactic and strategy are being revived and revised to obtain the best outcomes.
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization is one of the top ways to attract visitors to a website. Millions of people use search engines, and if your site is not optimized for search, then you are missing out a countless amount of potential customers. By doing some SEO you can boost the visibility of a product or services.
SEO is very beneficial to take your business to the next level and marketers are inventing new strategies every year to upgrade the marketing experience. The experts have found seven fundamental steps to bring technical SEO success in 2017. Though some of the tips may be relevant for a while, others are new and have to do with the recent search engine changes.
- Check the index: check the number of your site’s pages that are indexed by the search engines. This task can be accomplished by entering the site which is domain.com in the targeted search engine or by using an SEO crawler. Preferably this number should be largely proportional to the total number of the pages on your site subtracting the ones you do not want to be indexed. If there is a bigger gap, then you need to review the disallowed pages.
- Check the crawl ability: always make sure that the important resources are crawlable. Robots.txt is just one of the methods to restrict the pages from indexing, so you may want to use an SEO crawler to get the list of the blocked pages, despite of considering whether the instruction was found in robots.txt, X-Robots-Tag or noindex meta tag. It is very important to remember that Google is now able to render pages like modern browsers do, that is the reason why in 2017, it’s critical that all kinds of pages are crawlable along with your pages. If your CSS files are closed from indexing, Google will not view the pages the way it is intended to look. In the same way, if the java script is not crawlable, Google will not index any of the dynamically generated content of your site.
- Optimize the crawl budget: crawl budget is the number of pages of a site that search engines crawl during a given period of time. You can get an idea about your crawl budget in Google Search Console. Once you know your crawl budget you must be intended to increase it as well. Here are few ways to optimize your crawl budget:
- Get rid of the duplicate pages: in terms of the crawl budget, search engines will hit the duplicate pages and waste your crawl budget. Therefore it’s better to lose the duplicate pages if you can afford to do it.
- Prevent indexation of the pages with no SEO value: privacy policies, terms and conditions, and expired promotions are good candidates for a Disallow rule in robots.txt. You can also specify certain URL parameters in Google Search Console so that Google avoids crawling the same pages separately that are having different parameters.
- Fix the links that are broken: whenever search bots hit a broken link, a unit of the crawl budget goes completely to waste.
- Update the site map: always keep your site map up to date and make sure to register it in Google Search Console.
- Audit the internal links: internal linking helps to spread the page rank around pages more efficiently. Some of the things that you must go through while auditing the internal links are as follows:
- Click depth– keep the important pages not more than three clicks away from the home page.
- Broken links– broken links can confuse the visitors and eat up the ranking power of the pages.
- Redirected links– taking the visitors through a number of redirects can negatively affect the crawl budget and the loading time of a page.
- Orphan pages– these pages are usually not linked to the other pages of a site, and thus are hard to find, both by the visitors and the search engines.
- Review your sitemap: sitemaps informs the search engines about the structure of your site and also lets them discover new contents faster. Sitemaps can be checked on various criteria:
- Freshness– whenever you add a new content to your site, update your XML sitemap.
- Cleanness– to avoid the risk of having your sitemap ignored by the search engines completely, keep your sitemap free from garbage like 4XX pages, non canonical pages, redirected URL’s, and the pages that are blocked from indexing. So, never forget to check your sitemap regularly for errors in Google Search Console.
- Size: Google limits the crawls of its sitemap to 50,000 URL’s. So it is always preferable to keep the pages much shorter than that so that your important pages get crawled more frequently. It has also been pointed out by many SEO’s that by reducing the number of URL’s in sitemaps one can yield more effective crawls.
- Improve and test the speed of the page: the speed of a page is not just one of Google’s top priorities for 2017; rather, it is also one of its ranking signals. You can check the loading time of your page with Google’s own Page Speed Insights tool. If your age does not qualify some of the aspects of the test, Google will give you the details and the recommendations about the ways to fix it. You will even get a compressed version of your images if they are too heavy.
- Go mobile friendly: A few weeks ago it was reported that Google is going to start mobile first indexing of the web. It means that Google will index the mobile version of websites instead of its desktop version. Thus, the mobile version of your pages will decide how the pages should rank in the mobile as well as the desktop search engine results. Here are some of the tricks that would help you to prepare your site for the upcoming changes.
- Check if your pages are mobile friendly with Google’s own mobile friendly test tool.
- Run comprehensive audits for the mobile site just as you do with the desktop versions. And for that, you would likely need to employ the custom user agent and robot.txt settings in your SEO crawler.
- Don’t forget to track the Google mobile ranks as your progress in the rankings will soon convert to your desktop rankings as well.
These evolving SEO tactics can help you to launch a modern day business and convert more leads into potential customers. With the drastic change in the digital landscape for the past few years, the effectiveness and importance of SEO as a marketing strategy has increased. SEO has become widely accepted as an online marketing strategy because of its efficiency.
SEO can drive you more benefits to your account only if you know the correct way to utilize it. And to ensure that you get the most of the Search Engine Optimization, Carney Technologies Services is always there to help you. Our expert team will drive qualified traffic to your website and position your website in the top of the search engine results.
So, what are you waiting for? Come, join hands with Carney and begin the New Year with all new possibilities.