Every website has its own ranking as per viewed by the audiences and provided by Google. The problem starts when the websites witness fluctuation in the rank that can even result in the shutting down of the website. With various tools it is now easy to detect the reasons and components that causes ranking drop. Creating a checklist of the reasons that causes ranking drop may help you keep your website rank stable or can improve it further.
10 reasons that are very important to know about ranking drop are:
- New links: When a sudden addition of new link is done in the website it is observed that the ranking of that particular page or website to which the link points fluctuate. These fluctuations can be tested with tools like Majestic SEO, Ahrefs, etc.
- Lost links: Just like new links influence the ranking of the website, losing links can also affect the ranking. When you change your website domain and it malfunctions or behaves in an unnatural manner then this can lead to fluctuating ranks and ranking drop.
- Dropped re-directions: It is the problem caused due to manipulation in the domain which causes in the manipulation of the server. Due to the change in the domain or the link the website may not open properly causing a ranking drop.
- Manual or algorithmic penalties: Every website has to follow certain guidelines stated by official Google Web Master. If you try to manipulate ranking through unnatural link building or spun contents then Google can apply a “rank transition function” which affects your ranking.
- Algorithmic changes: When there is a change or update in the algorithms of Google then also your website’s raking may fluctuate.
- Checking the technical fundamentals: Not only basic factors influence but technical factors are also responsible such as unnecessary pop-ups, designing of the webpage, etc.
- Changes to the site: Any change to the website may also result in fluctuating rank or drop in the rank.
- Server issues: Any unusual error or manipulation in the server cause in ranking drop as well.
- Change in search behavior: The taste or criteria of people changes due to the launch of something new and better results in ranking drop.
- Click-through rate changes: A catchy title always attracts people and if the title or the headline you provide is not attractive then the views will be less and will result in ranking drop.